Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pics, pow!

I'm doing another picture post, aw yeah. One of the things that I have found surprisingly beautiful in Amsterdam is the graffiti. The contrast between the highlighter bright colors and the brown, faded brick walls has a surreal effect. Amsterdam is all about unexpected combinations and collaborations between seemingly opposing resources. To me, graffiti is the perfect visual example of this spirit of beauty being created in a fresh way and being found in strange places.

I was biking back from work the other day, when I saw this piece that initially intrigued me because it was in English and seemed to be about America.

Later that day I saw a similar piece, that equally caught my attention and had the same tag. Now I was doubly intrigued!
The next day I was totally surprised to find a third Laser 3.14 tag. I did some research and found out that Laser 3.14 is a famous street artist in Amsterdam whose work graces both the streets and art galleries.


I bike by this door every day and it still continues to fascinate me how it continues to evolve. I took a picture of this stage because I was struck how the woman appears to be crying. The poster ripping to reveal the blue underneath completely changed my perspective of it. 
I just liked the colors on this one! No deeper interpretation, just general appreciation for the beauty and creativity found in Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment